Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Busy Week!

Hi everyone, and welcome back from break!
The week before break was a busy one- we conducted feeding experiments at all six schools, and I think we got some very interesting results, which I will try to post in the next few days. Many trout seemed to respond to our zooplankton and begin feeding; others did not. Does anyone have specific results to share?

I would also like to thank Colleen Kearns, from Cornell's Department of Evolutionary Biology & Ecology, and Michael Lenetsky from Trout Unlimited for their tremendous help. We had a great time, and I know they are awaiting any questions form the classes!

Check out a slideshow from our experiment at Boynton on the sidebar to the right (just click on the picture), and the movie from Groton, below!

Bill F.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Great Week

Our third grade class would like to send a very special "THANKS" to Ms. Rubin and her class at CHE who graciously donated  trout to our classroom.  Our class was touched by this and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate it.  Speedy and others are doing great and Mr. Brooks will be going over there everyday over break to check in on them.   

Bill and our mentor, Rich, came out to Enfield on Wednesday to perform an experiment with Daphnia and trout feeding behavior.  This was a wonderful time full of great questions and interactions between students, trout and our mentors.  We've put together a video and we are hopeful it will be uploaded soon.   

Thanks,

Mr. Brooks' Class

Monday, February 2, 2009

Feeding Time

video
Today Bill came to Groton with a great activity to test feeding behavior in our young trout. At this point our trout have only seen the supplied fish food which we've sprinkled on top. We were testing whether or not the fish would instinctively recognize live daphnia as prey or not.

update from South Hill

Our approx. 20 fish are getting quite big...some more than an inch...very active and feisty. They love the larger size of food! pH remains 8, ammonia 1, nitrate 0, nitrite 1. We are adding Stress Zyme weekly still (almost out...!) and nitrate's don't seem to be coming along.