Thursday, May 14, 2020

Trout release at Virgil Creek


Hey Everyone!
Yesterday, I collected trout from Leo Guelpa and Ashley Munson's tanks at Dryden Elementary.  These intrepid teachers were banking on school reopening and held onto their trout like champs.  Alas, reopening was not to be... but I had a chance to release well over 200 beautiful little brook trout.  I thought I'd share... we'll start in Mr. Guelpa's classroom:


Once we got the tanks all cleaned up (Thanks Mr. G!), I headed to the Dryden Rail Trail, where it crosses Springhouse Rd.  

I walked about 100 meters in to a bridge over the creek.. and founda  spot I thought they'd really like.




Now, the Dryden Rail Trail is open to everyone.  Its a great place for a hike or a bike ride, and if you go, I bet you can spot some of the little trout, if the water is clear.  



You'll be glad to know, there were lots of mayflies and scuds (like little freshwater shrimp!) in teh stream, and our trout went right after them.  This one even had part of a worm sticking out of its mouth!

I think they'll be just fine!  Let us know if visit the spot and find them.  Take a picture and send it in to me at floatingclassroom@gmail.com.
~Bill


1 comment:

Lynn Leopold said...

Those are the cutest little trout! We all wish them well in their very long journey to adulthood!